5 Money Saving Summertime Activities
Whether you’re trying to distract a group of restless kids, entertain a few bored teens, or just enjoy yourself, the summer can be a taxing time on your wallet. However, there are so many things you can do that cost little to no money. Don’t worry, just because you’re saving money, doesn’t mean you’re sacrificing fun. There’s still plenty of summer left, which means there’s still plenty of time to save money AND have a great time. Here are five things you can do this summer (and beyond) that won’t break the bank.
- Visit your local library: A wise person once said, “reading is fundamental,” and we tend to agree with that statement. That’s why your local library is the PERFECT place for the summer. Library cards are free and the entertainment you can find is endless even if you aren’t an avid reader. Many local libraries offer summer programs that cover a variety of topics and have the option to check out movies and video games. Interested to see what your library is doing for the summer?
- Get crafty: Do you love to get crafty? Do you love a good competition? Then you’re going to love this idea! Gather your friends and visit the local dollar store. While there, give everyone a (small) budget to buy supplies. Once everyone has their supplies, they will have a set amount of time to make their most stunning piece of art. Finally, choose a, preferably impartial, judge, who will pick their top three favorite pieces of art. The winners can get an inexpensive prize, but really aren’t bragging rights the best prize?
- Volunteer your time: Who said giving back can’t be fun? Find opportunities to volunteer your time this summer. Spend time reading to children, find a local animal shelter and volunteer to play with or walk some four-legged friends, or serve food at a local soup kitchen. The ways you can give back are endless, and you’ll be surprised how fun these activities can be. Plus, you’ll be helping to foster a better sense of community.
- Host a game night: If you’ve been outside lately…it’s hot! Even when the sun goes down the heat can still linger. That’s why we’re suggesting staying inside and host a board game night for you and your friends! Have everyone bring their favorite dish (you can even have a themed dinner) and break out your favorite games. Don’t have any games? No worries, there are plenty of free, or low cost, apps and websites that have got you covered. Find a list of them here.
- Go outside: We know, we know, we just said it was hot, and it is. But it is still summer, the perfect time to get outside! Whether you find a local watering hole to swim in, play in a sprinkler in the yard, or just find some shade with an ice-cold glass of lemonade, going outside is fun AND it is free. Just be sure to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen.
Leave a Comment